For the last few years I’ve conducted a personal annual review ala Chris G. I’m obessivly goal/action oriented and the annual review provides me with a simple format to work towards moving forward and analyze looking back.
Looking back on 2012 is a bit different than years past given all the change in my life. I didn’t knock out everything on my list but fared pretty well given a new relationship and subsequent move to Maine, along with a self-induced hatchet wound to the leg. Results below:
- Shed “Stuff” – Purge, Purge, Purge. In the market for some stuff? I know a guy who has got some non essential crap to get rid of. Deadline – Feb 1. Success – though moving will force you to purge.
- Volunteer – In some format, once a month. Deadline – Every month. Fail – started great, derailed by moving.
- Live Music – Deadline – two shows a month, every month. Semi-success – I’d say I averaged 1.5 shows a month + Jazzfest in NOLA.
- Lakefront Improvements – Now that I’ve got it, time to make it awesome. Deadlines – Dock May 1, Living structure – June 1. Success – See also Success is A Single-Wide
- Disconnect – Between phone calls, texts, tweets, facebook and emails we’re all a bit over connected. I tend to blame it on being self employed and needed to be easily reached. This is a cop out. Deadline – 2 – 3 hours a day spent fully disconnected. Fail – See also Digital Detox
- Sail – Twice a month, every month. Semi-success – given I now live 500 miles from my sailboat.
- Spend 30 Days Abroad – Why stop now. Deadline – EOY. Micro deadline – plan first trip by Jan 15. (who’s coming with me?) Semi-success – 16 Days abroad + a 14 day cross-country roadtrip. (Honduras, Montreal, Mexico)
- Take an Extended Motorcycle Adventure – The TAT perhaps? Deadline – July. Fail.
- Visit 49 States – 4 states left, 365 days – Getting 3 seems pretty doable. OR and WA are just plain easy – deadline June 1. AK and HI? Ok, lets go for one of the two sometime in 2012. Fail – 26 States visited, 0 New.
- Less Strategy, More Creativity – Not that they are mutually exclusive, but I got paid for an awful lot of strategy development in 2011. Which often means PowerPoint, meh. Deadline – 15% of time spent on creative work by EOY – (Campaign development, concepting, theming, taglines, etc.) Success.
- Profits Up 25% – Money doesn’t buy love. But it does buy hoppy beer and Earl’s sandwiches. And I love both. Deadline – EOY 2012. Success (29%).
- Up My Video Skills – I do fun stuff on occasion. I should be documenting better. Deadline – 1 badass video per quarter. Semi-Success – Learned a ton, didn’t produce nearly as much as I hoped.
- #WINNING, Duh – I’m competitive. I like winning. I accept it. Its time to win one of these adventure races. Deadline EOY. Fail – See also Pickles and the Bachelorette
- Find the Next Big Challenge – A multi-day race perhaps? Deadline – sign up by 1/15. Success – Competed in Checkpoint Tracker National Championships.
- Flexibility- I neglect stretching in prettty much all facets. It is time to get better about it. Deadline 15 dedicated minutes a day, every day. Success – Yoga two days a week post-Crossfit workouts.
- CrossFit – I’m good about going plenty often. And I’m pretty happy with my progress over the years, but I have some glaring weak spots that I pretend don’t exist. Deadlines – DL #330 Success – #340, Squat #225 Fail, Power clean #200 – Fail – Though 3 months on the mend from a hatchet wound will do that to ya.
- 6 Weeks Without TV – February start sounds good. Hall pass – Superbowl. Success.